Palisades Branch Public Library
861 Alma Real Drive, Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
(310) 459-2754 telephone
Currently closed due to Covid-19
Mon: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Tues: 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Weds: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Thurs: 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Fri: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Sat: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Summer Creative Writing Contest 2021
Contest submissions are judged based on Creativity, Originality, Effort, Plot, and Theme.
What Could I Write About?
Below are some intriguing prompts, but entrants may write about anything that reflects the theme.
- The idea of HELP usually means you are writing about something going on between at least 2 characters: A helper, and one who is receiving help. The story is about how that works out. If “HELP!” is a shout, what is the trouble? What kind of help is needed? So, where are we? When did this happen? Who is the helper? Who needs help?
- Does the word HELP make you think of:
- Pets or wild animals?
- Community Service?
- Firefighters? Lifeguards?
- What about yourself – what about a time you were the helper?
- Write a sentence using the word help. If it is the first word it may look like this: “HELP!” How does that sound in your head? Quotation marks mean someone is saying the word. Who is that? A person? An animal? A robot?
- Experienced writers, try this challenge: write a story that we know is about HELP, but do not include that word at all.
Good Luck! We look forward to reading your work!
- All entries must be submitted by September 8, 2021.
- Contestants must be residents of the city of Los Angeles or attend a school in the city of Los Angeles.
- Entries may be short stories, essays, non-fiction articles, scripts, monologues, or poetry.
- Contestants are limited to one entry not to exceed three pages (double spaced only) typed in font size 12. Please number the pages.
- Misspelled words are acceptable for younger entrants. Entries which an adult has clearly written will be disqualified. The charm of many entries is in the creative mistakes of a beginning writer.
- Each entry must have a completed entry form. Do not place contestant’s name or any other identification on the entry itself. Please email the entry form and the entry as two separate PDFs. The title must be on both.
- Contestants may consult a dictionary, thesaurus, or other reference source; but they may not copy any published work. A non-fiction entry should have sources if necessary.
- Entries with profanity will be disqualified.
- Entries cannot be returned. Please keep a copy of your work.
- Contestants may not submit entries that have won prizes in other contests. Contestants must write their entries during Summer 2021.
- Entries become the property of the PPLA. By entering the contest, contestants give permission for stories to be read aloud at the awards ceremony with video of the stories posted to the Friends Youtube channel, published in the local newspaper, kept in the library for interested readers, and published at www.friendsofpalilibrary.org.
- For questions, please email email@example.com.
How to Enter
Fill out the form below and upload your story by September 8th, 2021. (One PDF is preferred however you can submit up to 3 files below.)